Sunday, July 12, 2015

Nightcap 7/12/15 Not the NYAFF wrap up plus Randi's links

Whats the fastest way to the exit because NYAFF is outta here!

This was supposed to be a wrap up of this year’s New York Asian Film Festival but I’ve gotten lost in writing a very long piece on the changes in the festival over the last few years. I’ll be presenting that piece in another week or so- once I get out from under Japan Cuts and the rapidly approaching Fantasia.

Until then I want to give my quick word on a few films that some of the other Unseen people either reviewed or are in the process of preparing pieces on:


VIOLATOR
Ghost story from the Philippines bored me. I was lost ten minutes in and I just let it play on as it fumbled to find mood and a point. I thought it was a waste of my time. I have no idea what else to say other than it will probably play better in a theater than as a screener at home where I was too easily distracted.

TWENTY
Korean romcom about three friends in love with the same girl. Slick mannered and the sort of film you either click with or don't. I admired it more than I liked it (it uses music to awesome effect). And while I did laugh it was gone from my memory ten minutes after it ended

PARTNERS IN CRIME
Visually stunning, emotionally intense film that follows the aftermath of three school friends finding the body of one of their class mates. Certain that someone was behind the death the boys begin to investigate and try to find a suspect. Of course it all goes horribly wrong. One of the more interesting films of NYAFF 2015.

SOCIALPHOBIA
Friends track down a cyber bully only to find her dead. They then track down her her killer. gritty realistic social media filled mystery that didn't quite work for me.

LA LA LA AT ROCK BOTTOM
Charming off kilter romantic comedy/musical about a gangster with amnesia with a knack for rock and roll. Its wild and crazy and lots of fun.

There are also a few more reviews from me coming (maybe-possibly) including COIN LOCKER GIRL,  WAIKIKI BROTHERS, PRESIDENT'S LAST BANG, VENGEANCE OF THE ASSASSINS and NIHNON KYOKAKU-DEN (and I may chime in on TOKYO TRIBE) so keep reading this week.

My personal BEST and WORST of NYAFF 2015

BEST
Ringo Lam being wonderful
CHASUKE'S JOURNEY
BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY
BROTHERHOOD OF BLADES
CAFE WAITING LOVE
COPS VS THUGS
FULL ALERT
FULL STRIKE
MY LOVE, DON'T CROSS THAT RIVER
RUINED HEART
WHISTLEBLOWER
ROBBERY

NICE SURPRISE
EMPIRE OF LUST being a kick ass action film
SECOND CHANCE

WORST
Aaron Kwok just rambling
TAKSU
VIOLATOR
The fact that everything that didn't make these lists was largely completely forgettable


And as always we end with Randi's links:

Get your tooth fixed and your memory wiped
Camel Spiders
A new Wonderland
How Orson Welles Shattered Hollywood's image
BFI Talks and Trailers
The cost of doing a Broadway Show
A really cool Google Doodle
Your new pastor
Crazy Roads
Projecting movies on a cloud



This week more Japan Cuts titles plus new releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment